tirsdag 30. januar 2018

New comps!

For your eyes only (unless you contact me):

Vol 9 - Android Dreams
Vol 30 - Noir
Vol 40 - Misty Movements
Vol 42 - Just Library 5
Vol 138 - Easy Does It

I'm not a great fan of early electronica and synthesizer music. But some of those sounds appeal to me nevertheless. Some BBC Workshop, yes. Some strange Italian albums, yes. And I once discovered an album by a German guy who called himself Pyrolator. When was that? I had to check. It was way back in 1984, and the album was called Wunderland. It had rather short, melodic tunes with sampled bird song and other atmospherics and assorted exotica. I have always wanted to hear more music in that vein, combined with a tinge of video game YMO and some retro-futuristic vibes. And some well-behaved use of sequencers. Careful with that drum machine! Neither too experimental nor too weird or too noisy. Not too bombastic or spacey. Such music is hard to find. Vol 9, "Android Dreams", is the result of my search for such music in the library vaults (meaning my collection of library albums and other lossless sources).

The first track on Vol 138, "Easy Does It", (yes, a pretty obvious title, but I had to use it some day) has a remarkable feature, or rather a remarkable lack of something. How can an easy listening tune called "Ein Tag in Paris" be without an accordion, the instrument that has symbolized jolly street life in Paris in a thousand song arrangements? Here it's missing, and I consider that quite a marvel. On the other hand, had it been there, it would have spoilt the lovely tune and made me discard that track. I get a big enough dose of a similar sound from the harmonica on Cat Collin's "Le Grisbi" on vol. 30.

Vol 30 and Vol 40 sort of belong together. They both contain tunes that are rather mysterious, diffuse, opaque, eerie and dark.













Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar